Cauliflower with Ginger and Cilantro
Sauteed with a blend of Indian spices, plain cauliflower becomes exotic.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 3 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 large head of cauliflower (about 1 3/4 to 2 pounds), cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet heat the oil over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it cook the mustard and cumin seeds 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and shallots. Cook 2 minutes until soft.
- Add salt, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and cilantro. Cook 1 minute more.
- Add the cauliflower, stirring to coat it with the oil. Add 1/2 cup water and steam the mixture, covered, for 6 to 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Season the cauliflower mixture with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.