Crudites with Italian Vinaigrette
This homemade version is a fresh take on the bottled Italian dressing—and it will get your kids to eat their raw vegetables. The egg yolk adds creamy texture. It can be stored in the refrigerator in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to a week.
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups safflower oil
- Crudite vegetables, such as red pepper, carrot, celery, cucumber, fennel, cherry tomatoes
- In the bowl of a blender combine garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, egg yolk, Parmesan, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, and sugar. Puree until smooth.
- With motor running on lowest speed, slowly add oil in a thin stream. Transfer vinaigrette to a serving bowl.
- Serve with your favorite crudites or as a dressing for salads.
Dressing can be stored in the refrigerator in a container with a tight-fitting lid for up to a day.