Good-for-You Granola Bars
Grab one of these hearty fruit-and-nut bars to-go for a satisfying afternoon snack.
- 1 pound rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center position. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment and lightly oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, almonds, sesame seeds, salt, and dried fruit. Separately whisk together the oil, honey, 1/3 cup water, vanilla, and egg whites; stir into the oat mixture.
- Spread the granola in the baking dish and pack firmly. Bake for one hour, or until golden on top and along the edges. Cool completely.
- Remove cooled granola to a cutting board. Cut in half lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide bars. Store in an airtight container.