No canned tomatoes? No problem! This flavorful sauce is made with chicken broth and tomato paste.
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces campanelle pasta (or other short macaroni)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Boil a large pot of water. Generously salt the water and boil the pasta for 2 minutes shy of the package instructions. Taste for doneness and drain — the pasta should be al dente (soft but still firm, never mushy).
- Heat the oil and the garlic in a small, deep skillet over medium. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, then add the tomato paste. Continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes, season with pepper, and stir in the butter. Toss the pasta in the sauce to coat. Serve warm.