Don't worry if you don't have a popcorn maker -- you can achieve the same results in a 4-quart pot.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup popping corn kernels
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat a 4-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid on the stove top. Add the oil and swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pot. Get it hot enough to sizzle when the kernel hits the oil. Pour the corn in all at once, cover, and shake. Swirl the pot over the top of the burner once or twice until you hear the first few kernels pop. Once the corn is popping, swirl the pot continuously until the popping stops. Or, use a popcorn maker if you want to. Dump the popcorn in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted butter over the corn and toss well to fully coat the kernels. Sprinkle the spices over the popcorn and toss until everything is well combined.