Bananas Flambe with Coconut Sorbet
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick on the bias
- 2 ounces Jamaican rum
- 1 pint coconut sorbet or ice cream
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
1. In a large saute pan melt butter over high heat. Sprinkle sugar evenly over butter and scatter banana slices over sugar in a single layer. Allow mixture to boil vigorously undisturbed until sugar melts and bananas caramelize on bottom.
2. Remove from heat and pour rum into pan. Carefully light rum in pan, standing back to avoid flame, and allow flame to burn out, 30 seconds.
3. Divide sorbet and bananas between four bowls, top with toasted coconut and a squeeze of lime juice, and serve immediately.