Cheesy Corn Snack
Many commercial versions of this snack are on the market, but this delicious homemade version which has all the attractive elements of the store-bought, and none of the toxins—just simple flavors made with fresh ingredients. My tallest brother consumed huge quantities of the homemade stuff while growing up, just to fill him up in between meals. Two hungry boys can easily devour this batch, but it will feed up to six normal people for a small snack. This recipe appeals to all ages. You can intensify it with ground pepper or other desired flavoring.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup popping corn kernels
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Heat a 4-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid over. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of pot. Add 1 popcorn kernel to pot. If popcorn kernel sizzles immediately, add remaining kernels to pot, cover, and shake. Swirl pot over burner once or twice until kernels begin to pop. Cook, swirling continuously, until popping stops. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
- Pour melted butter over popcorn and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and salt; toss until well combined.