Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 very ripe banana, slightly mashed
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter or line 2 baking sheets.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the banana and chocolate chips until just combined.
4. Drop by the tablespoons onto the baking sheet, spacing dough an inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove to cooling racks.
I buy bananas (organic) whenever I shop and keep the bunch in a bowl on the kitchen counter for anyone to grab and eat. It also means I have them in varying degrees of ripeness for baking and smoothie making. A smoothie just isn’t right without the textural balance of a banana. And banana bread is a super-simple and beloved baked good to offer anyone. Need a quick dessert? Make banana splits with a couple of scoops of ice cream and some chocolate sauce (see page 286).
NUTSHELL RECIPE: Bananas Flambé
Sauté sliced bananas with butter and sugar. Flambé with rum by carefully igniting it to flame until it goes out. Drizzle with some cream.