Sautéed mushrooms and fresh cucumber mingle in this healthy buckwheat-noodle salad.
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced crosswise (1/3 cup)
- 3.5 ounces bunashimeji (beech mushrooms)
- 9 ounces buckwheat noodles
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (seasoned)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 1 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add shallots and mushrooms to skillet and saute until shallots become golden and mushrooms brown in places, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a large, heatproof bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain; toss in bowl with shallots, mushrooms, and remaining tablespoon oil. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, sesame oil, and scallions. Divide dipping sauce between individual serving bowls.
- Toss cucumber and sesame seeds with noodles just before serving.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: