Black Beans and Rice
Chopped avocado and a squeeze of lime add fresh flavor to this classic pantry dish.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add garlic, salt, and half the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in black pepper, cumin, and oregano and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans and water to pan and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining tablespoon oil.
- Serve black beans over white rice and garnish with remaining onion, avocado, and lime wedges.