Creamed Corn with Jalapenos
I have a secret fondness for canned creamed corn, because my mom never bought it, but my friends’ moms did. The jalapeño pepper gives this homemade version a Mexican twist. Eliminate the chili and change up the cheese if you want a more traditional flavor, with something like white cheddar or Muenster.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (discard seeds for less heat)
- 2 10-ounce bags corn kernels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a heated large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and jalapeno. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Puree 1/2 bag of corn in food processor or blender. Add pureed corn and remaining frozen corn to pan. Add cream, water, and cheese. Stir and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and serve warm.