Easy Collard Greens
- 3 ounces applewood smoked bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds collard greens, stems and thick center ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Cook bacon in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Once fat renders but before bacon becomes crispy, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ham to pot and continue cooking, 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add collard greens and salt to pot and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated from the pot, 25-30 minutes.