There are few things cozier than curling up with a bowl of hearty, home-style chicken chowder.
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour, preferably Wondra
- 1 small turnip, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 ounces rutabaga or parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped, for garnish
- Simmer chicken breasts in broth for 20 minutes. Let stand off heat for 20 minutes. Let cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, and shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, diced carrot, and a pinch of salt, and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in reserved chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add turnip, rutabaga or parsnip, and 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat, and simmer until root vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in reserved chicken and the cream, and heat until warmed through, about 1 minute. Season with salt, and garnish with dill. Serve immediately with crackers on the side.