Fresh apple slices add seasonal flavor to this quick-cooking and nutrient-packed grain.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup red quinoa, soaked and drained
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and julienned
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onions and salt and cook until translucent, 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until grains have expanded and water has evaporated, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in apples and lemon juice and serve.