Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan
This is another classic and refreshing simple salad, which you can improvise on depending on your personal taste. I love it as is, served after the main course at supper. It makes an excellent light lunch topped with grilled shrimp and white beans or piled high on top of Chicken Milanese or plain pizza.
- 1 bunch arugula, ends trimmed, cleaned well and completely dried
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 16 long, thin slices Parmesan cheese
- Tear the large arugula leaves in half and place all the leaves into a salad bowl. Add the red onion and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the salad a little at a time until it is lightly coated. Divide the salad onto chilled salad plates. Top each plate with several slices of Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and grind more pepper over. Serve immediately.