Beet and Tomato Salad with Mint
For this late-summer side dish, beets can be roasted, refrigerated overnight, and then combined at the last minute with heirloom tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, coarse salt, lemon juice, and a handful of fragrant mint leaves.
- 6 red beets, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 to 6 ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds), preferably heirloom, cut into wedges
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup small mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place beets, cut sides up, on parchment-lined foil on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Fold foil over beets to enclose, and crimp edges to seal. Bake until tender, about 35 minutes. Let cool. Peel, and cut into wedges. (Beets can be refrigerated in an airtight container overnight.)
- Arrange beets and tomatoes on a serving platter. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice, and season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Scatter mint over top, and serve.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: