Braised String Beans and Chickpeas
This hearty side is a warm riff on bean salad. Serve it alongside Spinach Zucchini Lasagna for a vegetarian meal that will keep diehard meat eaters happy as well.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and washed, water left clinging to beans
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 sprig basil
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat an 8-inch pot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Scatter in the shallots. Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes and salt. Top with the green beans. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and basil sprig and stir to combine. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Turn off heat and squeeze over lemon before serving.