Braised String Beans and Chickpeas
This hearty side is a warm riff on bean salad. Serve it alongside Spinach Zucchini Lasagna for a vegetarian meal that will keep diehard meat eaters happy as well.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and washed, water left clinging to beans
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 sprig basil
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat an 8-inch pot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Scatter in the shallots. Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes and salt. Top with the green beans. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and basil sprig and stir to combine. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Turn off heat and squeeze over lemon before serving.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: