Brazillian Collard Greens
This dish can be made year-round and served as a side to any protein.
- 3 bunches collard greens
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- Coarse salt
- Trim stems of collard greens, keeping leaves whole. If necessary, trim the large vein of the stem (in center of leaf) so that it is flat with the leaf. Rinse leaves under cold water and then stack, still wet, starting with larger leaves on the bottom. Tightly roll stacks of leaves lengthwise, like a cigar. Slice crosswise as thinly as possible.
- Heat oil and garlic together in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until garlic is golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add collard greens, folding with tongs so garlic gets tossed in with greens, until they start to wilt, about 1 minute. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and continue folding until greens have all wilted and begin releasing their moisture, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer collards to a serving bowl. Season with salt to taste and serve.