Carolina's Wine Taralli Cookies
FOR THE COOKIES
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
FOR THE ICING
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg until well combined. Stir in the olive oil and wine. Slowly add the flour mixture until well combined, kneading slightly until the dough is easy to handle and medium-soft.
4. On a clean surface, use your hands and roll the dough into 1/2-inch-thick, cigarlike rolls. Cut each cigar into 6-inch pieces, folding each piece into a loop-shape. Press the dough with fingers to seal together. Place on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
6. If you wish to ice them, whisk 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into 1 cup confectioners’ sugar. It should be the consistency of thick whipping cream. Dip one side of the cookie in the glaze and let dry.