Instead of dousing popcorn in butter, give plain kernels heat and zing by sprinkling them with chili powder and lime zest. The snack will be just as tasty but lower in calories -- and cholesterol-free.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 large lime wedge (about 2 limes total)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil with 3 popcorn kernels in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. When kernels pop, add remaining 1/2 cup kernels. Cook, covered, shaking pan occasionally, until popping slows, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let stand, covered, 1 minute.
- Stir together spices, salt, and zest in a small bowl. Toss hot popcorn with remaining tablespoon oil in a large bowl; sprinkle with spice mixture. Squeeze lime wedge over popcorn. Toss to coat.