Chilled Sweet Potato Salad
Tender sweet potatoes tossed with a sweet-tart dressing round out a meal of crisp coleslaw and oven-fried chicken.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 scallion, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup safflower or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 scallion (dark-green part only), thinly sliced diagonally for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes, and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk vinegar, orange zest and juice, 1 scallion, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with pepper. Toss dressing with sweet potatoes in a large bowl, and garnish with remaining 1/2 scallion. Refrigerate until chilled, up to 1 day.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: