Chinese Celery Salad
Here celery stars in its own salad with winning results. I learned this recipe from Angel, a Cantonese Chinese home cook who served it with Cold Sesame Noodles for lunch. Try it with Stir-Fried Chinese Chicken and Peanuts for dinner.
- 1 bunch of celery, top and bottom removed, stalks separated and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 dashes Chinese chili oil or hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the celery and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove, rinse, and cool. Peel off the fibrous strings. Cut the celery into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili oil, if using, sugar, and cilantro, if using. Toss in the celery. Cover and refrigerate to cool before serving.