Coconut-Topped Meringues Infused with Vanilla Bean
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (pod reserved for another use)
- 2 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Using a 4-inch round template such as an inverted bowl, draw 6 circles, evenly spaced, on parchment; place, marked sides down, on a baking sheet.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Beat in vanilla seeds. Gradually add sugar; beat until combined. Raise speed to high, and beat until stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 15 minutes.
3. Spoon meringue onto each circle (do not smooth tops). Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon coconut over half of each mound. Bake, leaving oven door slightly ajar, until outside is crisp and bottom can be removed easily from parchment, about 3 hours. Let cool. Meringues can be stored in a single layer in an airtight container up to 2 days.