Whole-wheat flour keeps these nutty muffins on the healthy side, while hints of coffee and honey make them extra delicious.
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 5 ounces pitted Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Bring coffee to simmer in small saucepan. Add dates, remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Drain and chop dates. Reserve liquid for another use.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, sugar, oil, and milk.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold in dates and walnuts. Fill muffin cups three-quarters full.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan before removing.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: