Green Apple Martini
Green apples and lemon juice give this martini a jolt of flavor.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 medium green apple (about 8 ounces), peeled (peels reserved)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounces best-quality vodka
- Bring sugar, 1 cup water, and 3/4 of the apple peel to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. (Reserve the remaining apple peel for garnish.) Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer syrup to a medium bowl set over an ice bath; let stand, stirring occasionally, until cool. Pour through a fine sieve into another bowl; discard solids.
- Cut apple into chunks; press through an electric juicer into a small bowl. Pour through a fine sieve into another bowl; discard any solids, and set juice aside
- Cut remaining peel into thin, 4-inch-long strips. Tie each strip into a knot; set aside in a bowl of water with lemon juice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka, 2 ounces syrup, and 1/3 cup apple juice; shake. Divide between 2 martini glasses; garnish with apple knots.
If you don't have a juicer, you can substitute 1/3 cup store-bought unsweetened apple juice for the fresh apple juice in step 2. Repeat this recipe in batches, as needed.