Green Goddess Ranch Salad Dressing
The anchovy in this one is undetectable but adds a salty, briny flavor; you can substitute salt if you’re afraid you’ll be found out for it. Choose your greens wisely, cleaning them thoroughly and serving them well chilled.
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives and/or scallions
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mild vinegar, such as white-wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed and minced
- Buttermilk or milk (optional)
- In a large bowl or blender, whisk or blend all the ingredients except the buttermilk. Add just enough buttermilk to thin to the desired consistency, if needed. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to combine. Shake well before using. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Dressing When You Don’t Want to Make Dressing: Just before serving, generously drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the salad. Add a capful or two of vinegar or a few teaspoons of tart citrus juice, depending on how acidic you like it. Distribute a large pinch of coarse salt and grind lots of black pepper over all. Toss together to completely cover the leaves, and serve.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: