Green Goddess Ranch Salad Dressing
The anchovy in this one is undetectable but adds a salty, briny flavor; you can substitute salt if you’re afraid you’ll be found out for it. Choose your greens wisely, cleaning them thoroughly and serving them well chilled.
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives and/or scallions
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mild vinegar, such as white-wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed and minced
- Buttermilk or milk (optional)
- In a large bowl or blender, whisk or blend all the ingredients except the buttermilk. Add just enough buttermilk to thin to the desired consistency, if needed. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to combine. Shake well before using. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Dressing When You Don’t Want to Make Dressing: Just before serving, generously drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the salad. Add a capful or two of vinegar or a few teaspoons of tart citrus juice, depending on how acidic you like it. Distribute a large pinch of coarse salt and grind lots of black pepper over all. Toss together to completely cover the leaves, and serve.