Anything in between and the texture is too chewy. Get your fishmonger to clean the calamari and then all you have to do is wash, dry and slice it. Serve this in a big bowl as a part of an antipasti spread or on its own in small serving bowls.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 small lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound fresh squid, cleaned, rinsed, and well dried
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Stir in the garlic and whole oregano sprigs.
- Heat a grill pan over the high heat. (Alternatively, you can cook the squid on the grill.) When very hot, add the squid and char each side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch rings, including the tendrils. Add the squid to the lemon sauce. Crack freshly ground pepper over and serve immediately.