Chicken thighs are braised in a rich, spicy tomato sauce for a hearty meal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- Small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 small green chile
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 28-ounce can pureed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to hot pan. Brown on both sides. Cook in batches if needed.
- Remove chicken from pan and add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cut a slit into the chile lengthwise and add to pan. Saute the onion mixture until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and stir. Add chicken back to pan and bring up to a simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Turn chicken occasionally throughout cooking.
- When ready to serve, uncover and stir in cream. Simmer for 1 minute and serve.