This classic Albanian dessert of shredded phyllo dough is dusted with vanilla sugar and walnuts and baked until golden brown.
- 1 pound shredded phyllo dough
- 1 8-ounce container whipped unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 vanilla sugar packet
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 thin slices of lemon
- 2 cups crushed walnuts
1. Open package of shredded phyllo and spread apart onto a big pan. Let dry overnight, and flip over to let other side dry.
2. Spread phyllo into 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour melted butter evenly over top.
3. Preheat oven to 280 degrees. Bake for 2 hours, until golden. Remove from oven. Let cool.
4. In a saucepan combine sugar, water, vanilla sugar, cold water, and lemon slices. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in additional 1/2 cup cold water to cool down syrup. Remove lemon slices.
5. When phyllo is cool, pour the cooled syrup on top. Sprinkle crushed walnuts on top and set aside for about 1 hour to allow syrup to soak in. Cut into squares and serve.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: