North Carolina BBQ Sauce
This sauce can be made up to 2 weeks ahead. Cool to room temperature, transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, and vinegar to pot, raise heat, and boil, whisking constantly, until sugar and salt dissolve, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; whisk in lemon juice and hot sauce. Serve warm.
This BBQ sauce can be made up to two weeks ahead. Cool to room temperature, transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: