This lightly sweet, no-mixer-required cake gets a its touch of sophistication from sweetened segmented oranges and strips of zest.
- Unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large oranges (1 zested into thin strips, both segmented)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Stir flour, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, yogurt, oil, orange zest and juice, egg, and vanilla in a bowl. Pour into pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
2. Place zest strips in a bowl. Stir in segments and remaining tablespoon sugar. Garnish cake with some segments; serve with the rest. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list:
Photo by Sang An