This chutney is an all-purpose condiment, delicious with roast lamb, grilled chicken, or sautéed pork chops. It offers a sensational and unexpected flavor combination—try it on a cheese plate or smear it on a sandwich with roast meat. Also, given its many uses and beautiful orange color, it makes a great gift.
- 3 medium papayas, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 chayote, peeled, pitted, and diced, or 1 peeled and diced cucumber
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, or a combination, finely chopped
- 1/4 whole lime, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook gently over low heat for 2 hours, stirring periodically.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chutney to cool.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: