Poached Eggs with Bacon and Toasted Pecan Pancakes
Start the day with bacon and eggs, two ingredients that are even more enticing when they're together; other delectable duos - pecan pancakes with maple syrup and coffee with milk complete the breakfast.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter melted, plus 1 teaspoon for skillet
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (about 2 ounces)
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon
- Pure maple syrup, warmed, for serving
- Toasted Glazed Pecans, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, vanilla, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon oil; whisk into flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in chopped pecans; set batter aside.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 7 minutes per side. Let drain on paper towels. Transfer bacon to a baking sheet in oven to keep warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter and remaining teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches of 2, pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook until small bubbles form, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Flip; cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet in oven to keep warm.
- Fill a small, high-sided skillet with 1 1/2 inches water; heat over medium heat until barely simmering. Break remaining eggs into separate cups; pour eggs into water. Cook, basting tops of eggs with the simmering water, until set, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel to drain.
- Place 2 pancakes on each plate; drizzle with warm syrup. Arrange bacon over pancakes, and place poached egg on top. Drizzle with more syrup, if desired, and a sprinkle of salt. Garnish with toasted glazed pecans.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: