This is one of my favorite weeknight family meals served with mashed potatoes mixed with ricotta cheese and butter, which is an amazing combination. We always serve a couple of vegetable dishes, sparkling water and wine at the table too.
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 slice bread, crust removed (1 1/2-inch)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground veal or beef
- 1/3 pound mortadella, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons white or red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the milk in a small pan until warm but not scalded. Turn off the heat. Place the bread in the milk and let sit to absorb the milk, turning once, about 1 minute per side. Remove the bread to a board, finely chop it, and place the bread in a large bowl.
- Add the pork, veal, mortadella, onion, parsley, cheese, nuts, garlic, eggs, wine, salt, and pepper to the bread. Using your hand, mix to combine completely. Form into an oval-shaped loaf and place in a large baking dish. Cook for 55 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.