Pumpkin Vegetable Curry Stew
This stew is an excellent vegetarian main dish, and the pumpkin gives you a large dose of beta-carotene for a boost to the immune system. Serve it with Rice and Peas (page 40) and chutney.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 pound pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 green banana or Irish potato, chopped
- 1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper (green recommended)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the curry powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and black pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir until it is a thick, relishlike sauce.
- Add the water, scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate all the flavors. Add the pumpkin, carrot, potato, green banana, and Scotch bonnet pepper. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil while gently blending the ingredients together. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring a couple of times, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the Scotch bonnet pepper before serving.