Bittersweet saffron gives this simple risotto its enticing fragrance. Serve with Osso Buco for a traditional Italian meal.
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Add saffron to hot stock, stirring to infuse; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated. Add 1 cup stock to saucepan and cook, stirring, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking, adding 1 cup of stock at a time and stirring until each addition has been absorbed before adding more. Continue process until rice is tender and creamy but still slightly al dente, about 17 minutes; you may not need to use all the stock.
- Stir in butter and cheese until well combined. Serve immediately with grated cheese.