Simmered Mustard Greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 pounds mustard greens, thick stems trimmed, leaves washed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become soft and golden in places, about 5 minutes.
2. Add red-pepper flakes to pot along with half the mustard greens and cook, stirring, to wilt greens. Add remaining mustard greens and continue cooking until all greens are wilted, about 5 minutes total.
3. Add chicken broth to pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, partially covered, until greens are tender, about 20 minutes.
Need help with the ingredients? Check our pantry list: