Simple Chicken Piccata
This dish takes only minutes to cook, so make sure to have all the necessary elements organized, and prepare the chicken at the last moment.
- 2 6- to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in half lengthwise, pounded until thin and even
- Coarse salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely ground all-purpose flour, preferably Wondra
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine, or dry vermouth
- 1 lemon, half juiced (2 tablespoons), half thinly sliced, crosswise
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and white pepper. Lightly coat in flour. Shake off excess.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter, swirl them around the pan, and add the chicken. Turn the heat to high and saute the chicken 2 minutes per side. Pour in the wine, swirl it around the pan for 20 seconds, and turn over the chicken. Add the lemon juice and slices, swirl them around in the pan, and turn off the heat. Serve immediately with a small sprinkling of salt and white pepper.